This forum is for my family to discuss and talk about whatever. Anyone else looking at it, I'd prefer you didn't look but if I can't stop you, then I can't stop you. Please don't if I can't.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Artificial Intelligence

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Artificial Intelligence on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Ima Pealover

Will computers someday develop Artificial Intelligence?

2 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:31 pm

EccentricPhilosopher

They already do in a sense... if you look at this in a general thought process.

But you aren't asking if they can get artificial intelligence, you are asking if they can develop it. So you are saying can computers grow in intelligence. The answer is, to a point, yes. Deep Blue, the famous chess-playing computer, is an example, it learns and gains intelligence in that sense.

3 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:47 pm

hazzmta

I agree with nick.

Artificial intelligence is seen a lot of video/computer games. However, this intelligence is pre-programmed. Genetic algorithms allow a computer to learn and actually improve their intelligence, so yes, computer do develop artificial intelligence.

4 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:40 pm

EccentricPhilosopher

I still say my other argument, but I also thought of this. Is the computer really gaining in "intelligence" or just memory. The core code isn't changed (or is it?), the memory has changed making the computer do another action, but the code isn't changed, so is it really increasing intelligence, or just memory? Question Shocked

5 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Ima Pealover

So, if a computer can develop IA, can it also develop a soul?

6 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 pm

hazzmta

maybe human intelligence is just our brain's reactions to stored memory. therefore, as a computer stores more memory, it will have gained intelligence.

7 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:51 pm

EccentricPhilosopher

Didn't think of it that way, but that brings up the question: What is intelligence?

8 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 am

hermit

I agree with EP. One first of all has to define INTELLIGENCE. Once that definition is agreed upon, one can debate the issue further. For example, one of the definitions I found in a dictionary used the word "understands" in its definition of intelligence. In that case, does a computer understand anything? Now one has to define "understand"... -- No wonder some of the greatest scientists spent a lifetime researching one topic.

9 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 am

hermit

hermit wrote:I agree with EP. One first of all has to define INTELLIGENCE. Once that definition is agreed upon, one can debate the issue further. For example, one of the definitions I found in a dictionary used the word "understands" in its definition of intelligence. In that case, does a computer understand anything? Now one has to define "understand"... -- No wonder some of the greatest scientists spent a lifetime researching one topic.

10 Re: Artificial Intelligence on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 pm

EccentricPhilosopher

Understand - The ability to know of, and apply correctly with the right intentions of the meaning

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum