This forum is for my family to discuss and talk about whatever. Anyone else looking at it, I'd prefer you didn't look but if I can't stop you, then I can't stop you. Please don't if I can't.

You are not connected. Please login or register

State of the Union

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 State of the Union on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:37 am

hazzmta

So... what did everyone think of the State of the Union?

I thought it was a good speech and well delivered. My thoughts:

THE GOOD:
- Tax cuts
- Spending freeze next year
- Reform for college loans to four and TWO year institutions
- Financial reform
- Nuclear energy
- Building a train system
- Ending don't ask, don't tell
- Meeting with both parties regularly, especially the Republicans

THE BAD:
- I still don't understand the health care reform plan
- I don't think cap and trade is a good idea

2 Re: State of the Union on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:00 am

vicster

I agree. My favorite part was when he frankly addressed the partisan ridiculousness that is going on.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/VictoriaClark&ToddAycock

3 Re: State of the Union on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:44 am

Ima Pealover

I agree, too. I especially liked the part where he said "I don't quit". That was encouraging to hear. The part where he was talking about the squabbling between the congresspeople was good. It was like he was the daddy and telling the kids to stop fighting and get along so they can get things accomplished; and that we are all in this together (like a family) so we should work together to get things done. Fighting each other is stupid and counterproductive for them and for the entire country, but they don't seem to recognize that. I think Obama gave them a needed verbal "spanking" and I hope they heed his advice!

As for the health care reform, I don't fully understand it either, but they MUST pass something. Anything. We desparately need health care reform and anything is better than nothing. We need a start. I view health care as a right for all American citizens, not just a special priviledge for those who can afford it.

Did you know the President Nixon, a Republican, actually proposed a much stronger, more comprehensive health care reform proposal than Obamas? It's true. He obviously didn't get far with it, however.

4 Re: State of the Union on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 am

EccentricPhilosopher

I didn't hear about all of this and definitely didn't know that thing about Nixon. Health care should be a basic right in my opinion.

5 Re: State of the Union on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am

vicster

I didn't know about Nixon either. That is very interesting.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/VictoriaClark&ToddAycock

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum